In 1759, Father Espinosa, the Jesuit, ordered from Mexico City "a head and hands of San Xavier with a body frame resembling the statue of Vera Cruz." This very statue, representing the patron of the mission and the village, stands in the center of the retablo behind the high altar.


|UAP Home Page| Title Page|Illustrations List|Previous (Illustration)|Next (Illustration)|



The University of Arizona Press, 4/2/97 2:23PM